History of The St. Christopher School
Timeline of key events
- 3 September 1906 – The school opened in Queens Road, Southend. Miss Wells appointed Headmistress.
- 1908 – Roll increased to 40 pupils. Miss Maylin appointed.
- 1936 – School transferred Great Eastern Avenue (where the Court House is now)
- 1939 – School closed due to fears of the Second World War – Attempts to set up an evacuated school did not happen
- 1945 – School reopened.
- May 1947 – Numbers increasing rapidly.
- 1948 – Decision to rename to ‘St Christopher School’
- March 1949 – Decision to build new school
- June 1956 – New school opened ‘St Christopher School, Mountdale Gardens, Leigh on Sea’
- 1964 – Mr E S Smith appointed as Headmaster
- 1968 – Major school fire. School relocated until 1972
- 1976 – Mr Charles Barber took over as Headmaster
- 1980 – Mr Tom Wilson took over as Headmaster
- 1995 – Became one of the first Grant Maintained special schools
- September 1999 – Became a foundation special school
- 2001 – Became one of the first Beacon special schools
- 2006 – One of the first special schools awarded specialist special school status.
- 2007 – Mrs Jackie Mullan took over as Headteacher
- 2012 – Converted to an Academy Trust
- 2017 – Became SEN Trust Southend (Multi Academy Trust) known as The St. Christopher School
- 2022 – Mr Dan Woodman became Headteacher
- 2024 – New playground installed
- 2024 – Friends of The St Christopher School established
- 2026 – New 4 class block completed